Tuesday, February 8, 2011

People we see.....

What got me started on wanting to try the whole "blogging" thing, is people that I come into contact with.  Particularly those in my neighborhood.....

When the weather is nice I love to walk Katelynn and Evan to school while pushing Madelynn in the stroller.  It is so nice to take in the sights and sounds of our neighborhood that we don't always notice when driving in the car.  This school year Katelynn and Evan were to start at a new school, so getting a whole new view of the neighborhood was exciting to me!  It is just over a mile walk both ways, so needless to say the "taking in of the neighborhood" usually happens on the walk home, because we are always rushing to get to school in the morning.  One of the days I will become organized and be on time for everything, but that is for a whole other post.....

After about a week I began to notice a few people that I would constantly come in contact with on my walk.  Mainly, an elderly gentleman and who I am assuming is his wife and two other elderly gentlemen out walking their dogs.  Everyday we would wave and exchange the occassional, "Hi!" "How are you?"  And for some reason I always looked forward to these meetings.  Never anything more than wave and a few words, but nice just the same. 

Well, as we all know living in the great State of Ohio, as the school years progresses so does the lovely weather of ours.  And as the weather gets worse our walks become far and few between, until they are non-existent until sunny days of spring are upon us. 

I still often think of "friends" I have made my during my morning walks and especially now more than ever.  You see, although my walks have ceased because of the weather, their walks still continue on, at the same time, every morning.... but there are a few changes....  The elderly gentleman who walked with his wife, now walks alone.  Is it because she is sick, the weather is too cold, or she has passed on??  The two elderly gentlemen with their dogs ... there is now only one, whom I see from my kitchen window every morning.  The same questions linger with them, did his "friend" get ill, did his dog pass away, or did he? These are questions that I may never know the answers to, but will often ponder as I wait for the sunny days of spring to come upon us.

And maybe, just maybe, instead of passing by with a way and hi, I will stop and talk to my new "friends" if even just for a minute.

2 comments: